Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Back to Preschool

Well here in Australia we are  in the middle of our Summer. Hence, schools take their Summer breaks during this time of year, from a week or so before Christmas until the end of January/beginning of February. For early childhood setting the breaks vary greatly. Some, like most preschools, follow the same or similar breaks to schools. Yet, in long day care settings such as where I work, break are usually much shorter. We remain operating during breaks between terms throughout the year and only closed for the week between Christmas and New Years.

And so it was that today I returned to work, albeit in a different room. I have moved from the toddler room to the preschool room. One of the things I was most looking forward to was sharing something new with the children. Last year my sister-in-law accompanied her husband on a 3 month stint working in Canada. While there they managed to play tourist and found some 'treasures' for us back in Aus. Although they returned a few months ago, our 'treasures' were kept from us until Christmas. Imagine my surprise when I was handed a box emblazoned with bottles of wine. Upon opening it I discovered a couple of hand puppets and a wonderful velociraptor marionette.



The children were instantly excited to see my surprise and intrigued on how it moved about. As I moved around the group the children all wanted to pat and hug our new friend.I even managed to get him to move his legs in a running motion which the children loved, although I'm sure some of them thought it was dancing.




Somtime in the near future I'm going to see if the children want to give our new friend a name, taking suggestions and voting for the name we want the most. Keep an eye out for that post.

1 comment:

  1. So very happy I found your blog! I'm a new follower! http://mrskarensclass.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete